How to Change the Battery in a Mercedes-Benz Key
There’s nothing more frustrating than going to open your car and the key fob doesn’t respond. While you can still open the doors manually, it throws you off your stride. Mercedes-Benz drivers of San Antonio and Alamo Heights will be happy to know that replacing the battery in a Mercedes-Benz key fob is easy! At Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio, we have the guide that will walk you through replacing your key fob battery so you can get back to enjoying the regular convenience of your key fob.
Types of Mercedes-Benz Key Fobs
Mercedes-Benz has two different types of key fobs, and that type will determine how many CR 2025 batteries it will need. The type of key fob will also determine how to change the battery. Stop by the parts center at Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio if you need a new battery or if you’re unsure whether you need a new key fob altogether.
- Smart Key: This key fob is used with the older Mercedes-Benz models. It is usually made of plastic and will require two batteries.
- Chrome Key: This key fob with a metal casing is found with the newer Mercedes-Benz models. The older version of this key requires two batteries, while the newer version only requires one.
Another way to distinguish between the key fobs is by looking at the panic button. The newer version has a triangular shaped panic button and the older version has a circular shaped panic button.
Changing Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
Once the type of Mercedes-Benz key fob is known, they each have a slightly different process for opening the key fob and changing the battery.
Opening a Smart Key:
- To remove the key from inside the fob, pull the sliding tab on the side of the key.
- There will be a slot that is on the opposite side of where the key can be inserted completely, use the key and push down towards the fob.
- Once the back of the key is free, take out the old battery and put the new one in place.
Opening a Chrome Key:
- To release the key from the fob, pull the silver, square shaped tab on the bottom of the Chrome Key.
- After removing the key, a small gap will appear. Push the key into the gap to press the internal tab and release the back cover
- Once the back cover is free, take out the old battery and put the new one in its place.
Note: When replacing the battery, make sure the positive and negative sides are facing the right direction.
Learn More About Mercedes-Benz at Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio!
If you have more questions about your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery, contact us at our service center near Shavano Park. Our expert technicians can help you with anything from routine Mercedes-Benz service costs to scheduling collision repairs. Be sure to browse our service specials to keep your Mercedes-Benz service costs budget-friendly.
More from Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio
The wait is over for the 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class! Anticipation has been hot for this legendary executive sedan, and San Antonio commuters can now secure the keys to their very own 2021 S-Class at Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio. The newest generation of S-Class introduces brand new innovations never before seen in the Mercedes-Benz lineup, including a completely upgraded Mercedes-Benz…
In the market for a new SUV that achieves a good balance of upscale luxury and steadfast capability? The Mercedes-Benz GLE for sale at Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio may just be your perfect match! With strong engine options and the availability of 4MATIC®® AWD, the GLE offers superior performance at every turn, including strong towing specs. Get a…
Are you searching for your first luxury SUV in the San Antonio area? The compact 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA SUV serves as a fantastic first-time luxury vehicle. The Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 price starts at $36,230* MSRP for the base model. If you’d like to upgrade to the 4MATIC®® AWD model, the Mercedes-Benz GLA price will be $38,230*…