How to Change the Battery in a Mercedes-Benz Key
There’s nothing more frustrating than going to open your car and the key fob doesn’t respond. While you can still open the doors manually, it throws you off your stride. Mercedes-Benz drivers of San Antonio and Alamo Heights will be happy to know that replacing the battery in a Mercedes-Benz key fob is easy! At Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio, we have the guide that will walk you through replacing your key fob battery so you can get back to enjoying the regular convenience of your key fob.
Types of Mercedes-Benz Key Fobs
Mercedes-Benz has two different types of key fobs, and that type will determine how many CR 2025 batteries it will need. The type of key fob will also determine how to change the battery. Stop by the parts center at Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio if you need a new battery or if you’re unsure whether you need a new key fob altogether.
- Smart Key: This key fob is used with the older Mercedes-Benz models. It is usually made of plastic and will require two batteries.
- Chrome Key: This key fob with a metal casing is found with the newer Mercedes-Benz models. The older version of this key requires two batteries, while the newer version only requires one.
Another way to distinguish between the key fobs is by looking at the panic button. The newer version has a triangular shaped panic button and the older version has a circular shaped panic button.
Changing Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
Once the type of Mercedes-Benz key fob is known, they each have a slightly different process for opening the key fob and changing the battery.
Opening a Smart Key:
- To remove the key from inside the fob, pull the sliding tab on the side of the key.
- There will be a slot that is on the opposite side of where the key can be inserted completely, use the key and push down towards the fob.
- Once the back of the key is free, take out the old battery and put the new one in place.
Opening a Chrome Key:
- To release the key from the fob, pull the silver, square shaped tab on the bottom of the Chrome Key.
- After removing the key, a small gap will appear. Push the key into the gap to press the internal tab and release the back cover
- Once the back cover is free, take out the old battery and put the new one in its place.
Note: When replacing the battery, make sure the positive and negative sides are facing the right direction.
Learn More About Mercedes-Benz at Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio!
If you have more questions about your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery, contact us at our service center near Shavano Park. Our expert technicians can help you with anything from routine Mercedes-Benz service costs to scheduling collision repairs. Be sure to browse our service specials to keep your Mercedes-Benz service costs budget-friendly.
More from Mercedes-Benz of San Antonio
If you’re interested in the new Mercedes-Benz GLE, you can expect class-leading comfort and refinement at every turn. It’s powerful, harnesses exceptional performance, and has all the latest safety features. However, the most impressive part is the Mercedes-Benz GLE interior. It is classy, elegant, and extremely comfortable for both the driver and passengers, and…
If you are in the market for a new Mercedes-Benz C-Class, you can expect the ultimate in luxury and refinement, with all the latest tech features you’ve come to expect from this iconic brand. One of the most impressive aspects is the Mercedes-Benz C-Class dimensions, which provide plenty of room for both passengers and…
Mercedes-EQ is proud to announce the debut of the brand’s first fully electric luxury sedan, the 2022 EQS. The Mercedes-Benz EQS electric sedan is already generating a lot of buzz around San Antonio and Alamo Heights, and it’s not hard to see why. The Mercedes-Benz vision for EQS models was to provide the ideal balance between elegance…